fredag 12 juni 2009

Rock is dead

Time for some Bill Hicks. Not that I'm in a particularily bitter or angry mood today, but because, well...he's right. *shrugs* I watched this clip today and when he yells "I WANT YOU TO PLAY FROM YOUR FUCKING HEART!!!!!" I started thinking and I realized that there aren't any real rock stars left anymore. That is something I really miss. I completely get what he means with banality and mediocrity ruling the music industry, and it's evident even in rock. The rock stars that used to be were just putting on a show. When they came off stage, the make up came off and that was it. Shock was just business. No one was being true to their art. Today, there isn't a trace of wanting to provoke left in any of them: Dee Snyder is married to a beach blonde and has a pink poodle (yes, for real), Ozzy is long gone physically as well as mentally, Alice Cooper plays golf with the aristocracy every Sunday...what.thefuck. Even musicians (if you can call them that...) that try to be anti all these things just do it to sell, when it coems down to it. A perfect example is Good Charlotte (although I have to laugh at myself at the thought of describing them as "rock" :p), who, when they first got signed, released the single "Lifestyles of the rich and the famous", critisizing celebrity worship and the fact that as long as you have fame and money, you can get away with everything. Now...their lead singer is dating Paris Hilton. It makes me want to fucking tear my hair out. I want you to play from your fucking heart.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Obs! Endast bloggmedlemmar kan kommentera.