tisdag 3 mars 2009

Norm life baby...


"...we're white and oh-so-hetero and our sex is missionary". I watched a brief bit of a program earlier this afternoon about polyamorous relationships versus monogamy (and I put "versus" since that seems to be the preferred way to angle things amongst most people). They'd interviewed a woman about my age; maybe a few years older, who was very much seeing the "standard" family option (one man, one woman, 2.6 kids, marriage, a house, etc.) as the best thing not only for her, but for everyone. What got to me was not only how she had so willingly conformed to everything society wants for her to be, but how she was saying that anyone who doesn't want those things are only saying that because they don't have them. Erm, okay. Let's think about that one for a minute, shall we. I don't have kids, a house, a middle class car, a dog and everything else that's the middle class wet dream and...well, what do you know...I'm fine anyway. Go figure. Maybe it springs from having been different and outside of things from such an early age, but I will never understand the appeal of all of that. Is that really what people want? Really? I learned from an early age to question things simply for the reason that I never seemed to fit in, but most of all, I learned never to desire something just because that something is the norm. It astounds me how people bow down to everything they're told to be so blindly. So what if someone wants to marry two people? Or three, or four? Are we supposed to be miserable in twosomes now? To me, it's so obvious that it's exactly that kind of conformism that makes people unhappy: society dictating that we should (preferrably) be white, straight, monogamous and, most of all, consumers. Consumers of blind faith, of flat screen TV:s that we buy on monthly payments to stifle the panic inside, of Kellog's cornflakes (because they're grrreat!), of the belief that we have nothing, that we ARE nothing without the products being marketed to us. I look around and I wonder...is it me? Am I the only one who thinks like this? Is it ME that's crazy? People just follow like sheep without even stopping to reflect if the life they're leading is what they really want or if they're doing it because it's what they've been brainwashed into thinking they want. There are so many restrictions, so many rules...have one partner (unless you're in a porn flick, in which case more than one is always adviced), don't stand out too much, buy what you're told, look the part, consume...suck, swallow and smile. Personally, I couldn't care less if someone wants to marry more than one partner. Here I was thinking we were free to love whoever we wanted, but it seems that was not at all the case. I feel like such a fucking outsider.


"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?"

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Obs! Endast bloggmedlemmar kan kommentera.