
I seriously thought it would never happen, but it has. Annika Östberg-Deasy has FINALLY got the O.K to be transferred to a Swedish prison. After twenty-seven years in a Californian women's prison, she is currently in New York waitying to come home. Annika was sentenced to 25 years to life, for the murder of a civilian and a police officer. She was not the perpetrator in either murder, however Annika was sentenced under California's felony murder rule, which provides that she is as responsible as the murderer himself, which in this case was her then boyfriend. He committed suicide only a week before the trial, hence leaving the jury (apparently...) with no choice but to sentence her instead. I guess all people love a scapegoat.
As of January 2009, Annika served 27 years in a California prison. Under California law, Annika was eligible for parole after 17 years, yet the California Board of Prison Terms did not find her "suitable for parole", or authorize her for transfer to her native country of Sweden. The next hearing in September 2008 was denied as well, but now...she is coming home.
I heard her on the radio a little bit today and I'm so impressed by her...how she still says that "being bitter is a waste of a life". I can't imagine still being so positive after having a selfish, coward piece of shit kill himself to escape responsibility and leaving you to take the blow. Imagine not touching grass, imagine not feeling water other than from an indoor tap, imagine not feeling the soft fur of a dog....imagine not being able to go out. For twenty-seven years. Even worse, twenty-seven years for something you didn't do. Her mother is old and sick but they'll finally get to see eachother for the first time in several years.
I've no doubt that her image of Sweden is probably quite utopian and she will most likely be a little disappointed -a lot has changed in thirty odd years- and she's coming to a Sweden in the midst of recession. And as horrible as I'm sure all those long years in an American prison must have been, it's the only thing she's known for almost half her life. Leaving it must be at least a little scary. But spring is almost here, and she'll be home. With her mother. At an open ward where she can be outdoors and work with her dogs. I actually choked up a little listening to the news today, I'm so in respect for how it must feel for her. Welcome home Annika.

Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar
Obs! Endast bloggmedlemmar kan kommentera.